"We are different, in essence, from other men. If you want to win something, run 100 meters. If you want to experience something, run a marathon."  - Emil Zatopek

Thursday, December 23, 2010

Refresher Run

5 miles @ McAlpine
w/u: 1mi. @ 8:45
target: 3mi. @ 7:45, actual: 7:45, 7:15, 7:19
c/d: 1mi. @ 7:50 (only b/c i misread my watch and sped up when i should've been slowing down.)

I had to get some morning miles in just in case.  My original intention was to run with the CRC studs this morning, but since Christi wasn't feeling well when we went to bed last night, I obliged to stay in longer this morning before putting in work with hopes to get in extra miles with her this afternoon.

I jogged over to the start of the XC course from the Margaret Wallace parking lot trying to force myself to stay @ +9:00, but this is going to take a lot more discipline leading up to the Frosty 50.  I took off nice and easy through the first mile, slowed down to greet a co-worker on the course and inadvertently accelerated through mile 2.  I wish someone could explain to me how the second mile of that course is always my fastest. I finished through mile 3 feeling great with this only being the third time i got decent leg turnover since Thunder Road.   I think I had also forgotten what it was like to get a good workout for fewer than 5 miles.  I have only a few lactic or VO2 workouts left before Frosty, so I'm sure whatever miles Christi and I share this afternoon will feel great.  Still looking to get in 3 great double-digit runs before Christmas weekend is over to put me closer to 70 than 60 this week.

No comments: